JSF commandLink Tag
This section illustrates you about
the JSF commandLink tag which is rendered as a anchor tag. And this tag
behaves as a command button for the form submission and this tag is also
used for the event handling purposes through the backing bean. This tag
has text that can be labeled by some external resources like properties
file from the message bundle.
Here, you will see more about the
commandLink tag of JSF how is it used in JSF programming. There is a
program with the complete code of JSF has been given for understanding
the procedure of using the tag.
<%@ page contentType="text/html" %>
<%@ taglib uri="http://java.sun.com/jsf/html" prefix="h" %>
<%@ taglib uri="http://java.sun.com/jsf/core" prefix="f" %>
<head><title>jsf h:commandLink example</title></head>
<h:commandLink value="Go for list of examples." action="page2" />
Here, when your run the above program, output
will be seen like the following image in which the text "Go for list of
examples." is looking like a hypertext. This is not only a anchor tag.
This link behaves like a command button. You can perform an action at the
When you run the above example, your JSF tags are
converted in to HTML code that is given. Following html source code is for
the above written JSF code.
HTML Source Code:
<head><title>jsf h:commandLink example</title></head>
<form id="_id0" method="post" action="/h-tags/pages/commandLink/
<a href="#" onclick="document.forms['_id0']['_id0:_idcl']
.value='_id0:_id1'; document.forms['_id0'].submit(); return false;">Go
for list of examples.</a>
<input type="hidden" name="_id0" value="_id0" /><input
type="hidden" name="_id0:_idcl" />
This JSF tag has some attributes these explained
- accesskey: This attribute set the key
for the component through which the component can be accessed.
Specified key is also used for transferring focus from one component
to the component where it mentioned in with the JSF commandLink tag.
- action: This is also an attribute of
the JSF commandLink tag. This attribute is used for handling events
from the backing bean or any other resources to invoke the component
when the component is activated by user. This type of action event is
completed through a action method of the backing bean class. This
method will either return a boolean value true or false by whom the
Java Server Faces MVC Framework is designed. And navigations are
depended on generated events and actions.
- actionListener: This attribute sets a
method-binding expression with a backing bean. This method handles
- binding: This attribute binds values with backing bean.
- charset: This attribute sets the
character encoding for the document that linked to by the hyperlink.
- coords: When you are using the link
with a client-side image map, this attribute sets the position and the
shape of spot on the screen.
- dir: This attribute set the direction
of the text. The value for the attribute is accepted as "LTR" (left to
right) or "RTL" (right to left).
- hreflang: This attribute sets the
language code for the resource linked to by the hyperlink.
- id: This attribute sets the name for
the identification of the component. It's value will be unique in the
closest naming container.
- immediate: It's value is a boolean
value that indicates for the component events that should be sent to
registered event listeners immediately. The immediate attribute allows you to
turn off validation for a particular component.
- lang: It sets the code for the language to be
used in the markup generated by this component.
- onblur: This attribute sets
- ondblclick: This attribute sets the
- onfocus: This attribute sets the
- onkeydown: This attribute sets the
- onkeypress: This attribute sets the
- onkeyup: This attribute sets the
method is executed when mouse is pressed down over the component.
- onmousemove: This attribute sets the
- onmouseout: This attribute sets the
- onmouseover: This attribute sets the
code to executed when the mouse pointer is released from the component.
- rel: This attribute tells you about
the relationship between the current document and the document linked
to by the hyperlink. It's values are the list of the link types
separated by space from each other.
- rev: This attribute identifies a
reserve link from the document linked to by the hyperlink to the
current document. It's values are a list of link types separated by
space from each other.
- rendered: This attribute takes a boolean
value that indicates for the rendering it or not in the view.
- shape: This attribute sets the shape
of the hotspot for viewing on the screen during the client side image
mapping. It's some valid value is "rect" for the rectangular region,
"default" for the entire region, "circle" for the circular region and
"poly" for the polygonal region.
- style: If you want ot add any CSS with the
component then you can put the style as the value of the attribute. Added CSS
will be applied on for the component.
- styleClass: This attribute holds the CSS
class name which is defined in the external style sheet.
- tabindex: This attribute sets the tab index
for the component. When you press the TAB key then the component will be
focused after focusing all those components whose tab index is less than the
- target: This attribute set the
identification of a frame in which the resource has to be displayed
that is linked to by the hyperlink.
- title: This attribute holds a string value
that is shown as a tool-tip text of a component or element.
- type: This attribute tells the component type
whether it is submit type or reset etc.
- value: This attribute set the display
value for the component. It will be directly or any other resources
like the backing bean or a message bundle. You can manage the backing
bean for the value of the component or element.