This example illustrate the process of inserting image into database table using Servlet. This type of program is useful in social networking or HR application where it is necessary to save the uploaded photograph of the user. If the image is stored in the database you can easily retrieve using JDBC program. In the next section you will see a program to retrieve the image from database using Servlet. After retrieving the image from database you can display it on the browser.
This type of program is really very useful, which makes your program very attractive.
1. Save your file
2. Open Command Prompt and set the class path so that it includes the servlet api jar file. The servlet api is available in servlet-api.jar file which you can take from tomcat's lib directory.
3. Map your servlet in web.xml file.
Here is the mapping code that you can put in web.xml file:
4. Compile your servlet class file by using javac <file_name.java>.
command prompt> javac
5. Move the class file into WEB-INF/classes directory.
6. Run your program on the Browser by url-pattern which define in web.xml file.
You should type http://localhost:8080/MyApplication/ImageInsertInTable in your browser to test the application.
MySql Table Structure:
Here is the table structure used to store the image into database. Please not the filed type used is blog.
|CREATE TABLE `pictures` (
`id` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,
PRIMARY KEY (`id`)
The following code is actually used to save the image data into database.
PreparedStatement ps = con.prepareStatement("INSERT INTO pictures VALUES(?,?)");
File file = new File("C:/apache-tomcat-6.0.16/webapps/CodingDiaryExample/images/5.jpg");
FileInputStream fs = new FileInputStream(file);
int i = ps.executeUpdate();
When you run the application through browser it will display the following message, once image is successfully inserted into database.
Liked it! Share this Tutorial