New auto mydsl - auto scan for directory named mydsl will automatically load extensions; new DSL natively booted can now recognize the Qemu virtual harddisk, allows for shared backup; upgraded Qemu to v0.8 for both Windows and Linux editions; new background image (Saturn) to match current theme; stop duplicate saves of wireless and printer; fixed boot options frugal and toram when used together would try to remount /dev/shm; updated .xinitrc with another correction for better German keyboard support.
About the Damn Small
Damn Small is small enough and smart enough to do the following things:
1. Boot from a business card CD as a live linux distribution (LiveCD)
2. Boot from a USB pen drive
3. Boot from within a host operating system (that's right, it can run *inside* Windows)
4. Run very nicely from an IDE Compact Flash drive via a method we call "frugal install"
5. Transform into a Debian OS with a traditional hard drive install
6. Run light enough to power a 486DX with 16MB of Ram
7. Run fully in RAM with as little as 128MB (you will be amazed at how fast your computer can be!)
8. Modularly grow -- DSL is highly extendable without the need to customize
DSL was originally developed as an experiment to see how many usable desktop applications can fit inside a 50MB live CD. It was at first just a personal tool/toy. But over time Damn Small Linux grew into a community project with hundreds of development hours put into refinements including a fully automated remote and local application installation system and a very versatile backup and restore system which may be used with any writable media including a hard drive, a floppy drive, or a USB device.
DSL has a nearly complete desktop, and many command line tools. All applications are chosen with the best balance of functionality, size and speed. Damn Small also has the ability to act as an SSH/FTP/HTTPD server right off of a live CD. In our quest to save space and have a fully functional desktop we've made many GUI administration tools which are fast yet still easy to use. What does DSL have?
Change Log for DSL v2.3 RC2
1. New auto mydsl. Auto scan for directory named mydsl will automatically load extensions.
2. New DSL natively booted can now recognize the Qemu virtual harddisk. Allows for shared backup.
3. Upgraded Qemu to v0.8 for both Windows and Linux versions.
4. New background image (Saturn) to match current theme.
5. Stop duplicate saves of wireless and printer.
6. Fixed boot options frugal and toram when used together would try to remount /dev/shm
7. Updated .xinitrc with another correction for better German keyboard support.
ftp://ftp.is.co.za/linux/distributions/damnsmall/ (South Africa)
http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/opsys/linux/damnsmall/ (Austria) also rsync and FTP
http://gulus.USherbrooke.ca/pub/distro/DamnSmallLinux/Location: (Quebec, Canada)
Recommend the tutorial
Ask Questions? Discuss: Damn Small Linux 2.3 RC2 has been released now
Post your Comment