About INSERT 1.3.6
Here we go! Finally a new version of INSERT emerges from the depths of the build machine. Long time no see. The size has grown to near 60MB, since our supplier of credit-card sized CDs promised me to be able to squeeze 60MB on the thing! So we still can call it 'credit-card sized':)) The linux kernel was updated to 22.214.171.124.Captive was updated to 1.1.7 and now can use the Windows XP driver files from SP2.The native NTFS driver and tools can do write support now as well (albeit somewhat limited). A custom build of the latest version of the great graphical partitioning GUI gparted was added. Reiser4 is supported
Changes: - finally.....puh.
- INSERT is larger! I just couldn't maintain the 50MB limit. If been spending too much time now trying to achieve this. Since our supplier for credit card-sized CDs told me that he now manages to squeeze nearly 60MB on the disc, I decided to allow INSERT to gain some weight. Most of you probably don't care anyway:)
- Update to linux kernel 126.96.36.199.
- Removed automatic loading of the ub kernel module, because it tends to slow down access to USB devices drastically. It can be activated using the boot option 'insert usbub'.
- INSERT now speaks Reiser4!
- ...and HFS and HFS+
- FUSE and the latest(!) ntfsprogs package were added. This means INSERT can mount NTFS-volumes read/write with the kernel NTFS driver from the linux-ntfs-project! (see ntfsmount/fusermount), but not all features are supported. This has to be considered highly experimental. Use at you rown risk!
- Captive is updated to the current version 1.1.7 (it's been very long since there have been changes in the Captive CVS). Captive now can use the SP2 files (ntfs.sys and ntoskrnl.exe)! Captive now uses fuse. That means unmounting is achieved using fusermount. Tests on files which contain special characters in the filename have not been succesfull even though it is supposed to work! Please stay away from dealing with such files! Please backup before you use Captive!
- INSERT contains the fixes from the latest Knoppix version (4.0.2)
- Kernel module updates to the latest versions: linux-wlan-ng, pcmcia-cs, ipw2x00, rt2xx0, ndiswrapper, madwifi, unionfs, cloop.
- Changed the boot option 'nousb2' to 'usb2no' because it collided with 'nousb'.
- Added the boot option 'usb1no' to selectively disable the USB1 host drivers.
- Added gparted. That's a very nice GUI for partition table editing!
- Added dialog, splitpipe and buffer on user request.
- Added the system monitor torsmo, displaying on the root window.
- Added elinks(-lite) to compensate for the recently missing console web browser (links-hacked did that job before). - Added star
- Added xfsdump
- Added fetcav
- an Xdialog frontend to the ClamAV scanner.
- Added the flua scripting language so we can use some of those nice scripts from DSL.
- rxvt was replaced with aterm!
- sysklogd was replaced with syslog-ng. A decent logging is working finally;)
- Updated packages: No, I don't list'em. It's just too many:) Consider most of the important tools to be up2date.
- Removed smb-nat and shfs. - A bug in usb-install.sh was fixed. But there still seem to be problems with USB2 devices!
- the virus database for clamav was updated to the latest version.
Recent Related News
? 2006-02-23: Distribution Release: INSERT 1.3.6
? 2005-07-01: Distribution Release: INSERT 1.3.5a
? 2005-06-01: Distribution Release: INSERT 1.3.5
? 2005-02-22: Distribution Release: INSERT 1.2.18
? 2004-12-19: Distribution Release: INSERT 1.2.17
? 2004-10-14: Distribution Release: INSERT 1.2.16
visit for more details and information . Download the English and German editions from here: INSERT-1.3.6_en.iso (59.8MB, MD5) or INSERT-1.3.6_de.iso (59.8MB, MD5).