In this section, you will know what is an applet and its advantages and disadvantages.
What is an Applet - Java Applet Tutorial
Applet is java program that can be embedded into HTML pages. Java applets
runs on the java enables web browsers such as mozila and internet explorer.
Applet is designed to run remotely on the client browser, so there are some
restrictions on it. Applet can't access system resources on the local computer.
Applets are used to make the web site more dynamic and entertaining.
Advantages of Applet:
- Applets are cross platform and can run on Windows, Mac OS and Linux
- Applets can work all the version of Java Plugin
- Applets runs in a sandbox, so the user does not need to trust the code, so it can work without security approval
- Applets are supported by most web browsers
- Applets are cached in most web browsers, so will be quick to load when returning to a web page
- User can also have full access to the machine if user allows
Disadvantages of Java Applet:
- Java plug-in is required to run applet
- Java applet requires JVM so first time it takes significant startup time
- If applet is not already cached in the machine, it will be downloaded from
internet and will take time
- Its difficult to desing and build good user interface in applets compared
to HTML technology
Latest version of Java plug-in:
You can download the latest version of Java Plug-in for your browser from http://java.sun.com/j2se/