Java BigDecimal divide examples

In this example, Java bigdecimal class divide(BigDecimal divisor, int scale, int roundingMode) method working is demonstrated. Example contains scale feature which is an integer type value that defines number of digits after decimal.

In this example, Java bigdecimal class divide(BigDecimal divisor, int scale, int roundingMode) method working is demonstrated. Example contains scale feature which is an integer type value that defines number of digits after decimal.

In this example, Java bigdecimal class divide(BigDecimal divisor, int scale, int roundingMode) method working  is demonstrated. Example contains scale feature which is an integer type value that defines number of digits after decimal. Here the scale of the quotient will be specified in the program.  Also in the example, bigdecimal class ROUND_FLOOR  field is used that defines the Rounding mode to round towards negative infinity. Method throws Arithmetic Exception in following cases when the specified Rounding mode is ROUND_UNNECESSARY,
when the divisor value is zero and when the specified rounding mode does not represent a valid rounding mode.

With divisor value zero, the rounding mode becomes equal to ROUND_UNNECESSARY therefore method throws Arithmetic Exception , when the divisor value is zero.

Method also throws IllegalArgumentException in the case when the specified rounding mode is not a valid rounding mode.

Syntax for using the method:

public BigDecimal divide(BigDecimal divisor, int scale, int roundingMode)   

bigdecimal_objectName = 
bigdecimal_objectDividendName.bigdecimal.divide(bigdecimal_objectDivisorName, int scale, int roundingMode);

Java_BigDecimal_divide_int_scale_int_roundingMode.java

import java.math.BigDecimal;
import java.text.NumberFormat;

public class Java_BigDecimal_divide_int_scale_int_roundingMode {
  public static void main(String args[]) {

System.out.println("Actual PI value with no " +
  "scale defined : " + (double22 7);

int i = 22, j = 7;
  BigDecimal a = new BigDecimal(i);
  BigDecimal b = new BigDecimal(j),
  c = new BigDecimal(0);

c = a.divide(b, 5, BigDecimal.ROUND_FLOOR);